I have a thing about resolutions. They’re hard to keep. Maybe too lofty. Maybe not lofty enough. Whatever it is, I don’t like them. I’ve never really made any that made any impact on my life.
But goals? I can do goals. Last year, I had the goal to run 30 miles in January and run at least one 5K race by the end of the year. I could work towards and measure my progress on each of those. Guess what? I managed to do both. I also had a goal of finishing a quilt (did), reading more with the kids (yup), and weaning Firecracker (nope–life happened and being sick didn’t help).
Dreams–oh, yes, I can dream. I tend day-dream a lot, and if my Pinterest boards are any indication, I have plenty of dreams of crafts to try, food to cook, and places to visit. Dreams help me set goals. If I can dream about something, I can also imagine doing it, and maybe even set a goal towards it.
So, this year I will set goals, and dream often. And based on what I learned in 2014, I’m hoping to build off those lessons as much as I can. Here are my 15 for 2015 (plus a few extra dreams):
- Exercise 3x weekly, either a run, a DVD workout, or walk/hike with the kids.
- Take time for personal time, aka “self-care”. Coffee or tea in the early morning. Time out with friends or alone. Time daily to read Scripture and other devotions. Exercise fits in with self-care, too.
- Finish 2 quilts. One is a square pattern, for which I already started cutting the fabric. Another might be a Christmas quilt.
- Take more photos, work on my photo books, definitely finish Firecracker’s 1st year before he turns 2.
- Read more books. Some great ones are on my shelf. I think I will rearrange and dedicate a shelf to books for the coming year.
- Teach the boys to tie their shoes.
- We enjoyed lots of outdoor activities, so I want to up the time we spend together hiking, camping, even just riding bikes to the park.
- Speaking of bikes…teach Little Man to ride his bike, help him get over his fear of riding with no training wheels.
- More dates with Fence! Maybe even a weekend away, just the two of us. That hasn’t happened in ages. (see this also on my dreams list!)
- Plan family nights and days, for games, movies, day-trips…
- Grow in our faith, hopefully with more frequent daily Mass attendance and once-a-month Confession.
Life in general:
- Simplify. Consider carefully what is worthwhile (to own, do, read, etc), and weed out the things which aren’t worth it.
- Plan and prep simple meals for the freezer once a month. Plan family faves more often.
- Keep up with teaching kitchen skills to the kids and let them work independently on recipes as they are able.
- Spend more time on hobbies, less on mindless time-sucks like FB.
- Have a weekend away with Fence, and no kiddos.
- Finish 2 quilts–I know, it is also a goal. But to actually do it? I think I might be dreaming it will really happen.
- Have a trimmer and fitter body, from actually exercising and eating less sugar.
- Have the girls prep and cook a recipe (or meal?!) on their own!
I’m also, for fun, going to fill out this list. Click HERE for a download link so you can plan goals and dreams for 2015, too! I’d love to hear what some of your goals and dreams for 2015 are. Happy New Year!