My goodness, it’s Friday already and the last Friday before Lent. Time to start gathering recipes! See here for many more meatless meal ideas, and stay tuned for many more to come in the next several weeks.
This week, our recipe is from the amazing Theresa, who blogs about her life and homeschooling and homemaking at Ordinary Lovely. She recently published a series of soup recipes, and offered to share one with my readers, also! Thanks Theresa!
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 1 lg. zucchini (or two small), chopped (I usually slice it into discs, then quarter them)
- 2 lg. carrots, peeled and cut into coins
- 11 c. chicken stock
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 c. canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 15 oz. can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- approx. 8 ounces frozen spinach
- approx. 10 ounces frozen cheese-filled tortellini
- 5 - 6 T. chopped fresh parsley
- black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and carrot. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the zucchini. Continue stirring for another 5 - 6 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the stock, basil, bay leaves, tomatoes, and salt to the pot. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the garbanzo beans, frozen spinach, and tortellini and bring it back to a low boil. Cook for 2 minutes, then reduce heat and it simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley.
- It's tasty topped with shredded Parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
- Serve with buttery garlic bread or garlic and cheese bread sticks.
This recipe makes a double batch, suitable for a large family dinner.
And bonus! Theresa gave us the recipe for breadsticks, also!
Don’t they look amazing?
Bread Machine Garlic Parmesan Bread Sticks
1 c. warm water
3 c. bread flour
1/4 c. dry milk
3 T. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 T. butter
1 T. grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
for brushing onto bread sticks..
4 T. butter, melted
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
grated Parmesan cheese
Place all ingredients in bread machine according to the instructions given for your model. (I placed mine in in the order listed above)
Run “dough” setting (takes approximately one and half hours)
Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Stretch dough out and cut into narrow pieces. Pull it into strips and twist.
Place bread “twists” on a cookie sheet. (I lined mine with parchment paper for easy clean-up. Cover with a wet cloth and allow to sit at room temperature for 45 – 60 minutes or until double in size.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Bake for 8 minutes.
Brush with the melted butter mixture. Bake for an additional 6 -8 minutes or until golden brown.