Buuuut, I also can’t resist a good, simple recipe that eliminates a step or two. After all, I am busy, distracted, and getting tired being on my feet at 25+ weeks pregnant. We all need simple. We all need some recipes that are fabulous in their simplicity and ease. This one doesn’t require a machine, eggs, or chilling before freezing. You can adjust the flavor any way you like. You can even skip the homemade jam/sauce step and use store-bought. Or skip fruit and add nuts. Or caramel sauce. Or chocolate chips. Or chocolate-covered espresso beans. Or…
Ok, here is the recipe. You are going to want to make this after your next grocery trip. Maybe even now, if you have the ingredients!
- 1 lb fresh or frozen fruit
- 1/3-1/2 c sugar, depending on your taste for sweetness
- 2 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2/3 c sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 c plain Greek yogurt (2% or whole milk)
- Cook fruit and sugar in a medium sauce pan over medium heat until thickened slightly. Stir occasionally to avoid scorching. Let cool
- Whip cream, vanilla, and salt until stiff are beginning to form. Whisk in sweetened condensed milk and yogurt until well-blended. Gently fold in half of fruit sauce by hand, to create streaks. Add in remaining sauce, folding gently.
- Scoop mixture into medium bowl or bread loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze for 4 hours up to 3 days.
- (adapted from Bon Appetite "Sweet and Sour Strawberry Semifreddo with Black Sesame")